Bathing your LO can be a real task, especially if you have a fussy one! Get the best bath toy for 18 month old baby in our review below. Our top three selections are in the table.
Did you know, being in the water helps develop your baby’s muscles? Bathing is a necessity to maintain hygiene. But when it comes to babies, not all toddlers have fun doing it. If your baby does not love bath time, it can be a real challenge to bathe them.
A fun way to get them interested in baths is to add some bath toys to the tub. The toys will hold your baby’s attention and make their bath time fun instead of like a seemingly endless chore where they have no role to play.
We spent weeks searching for the best bath toy for your young tikes. Over the span of two weeks, we tried and tested over twenty different toys based on several criteria like material, safety, and additional features.
We have curated below a list of the five Best Bath Toys For 18 Month Old to make them enjoy their time in the bathtub.
In this article, you will learn about,
- How to choose the right bath toy for your 18-month baby?
- Answers to commonly asked questions about bath toys
- Reviews of the five best bath toys for 18 month old
A Guide To Choosing The Best Bath Toy For 18 Month Old Kids
Babies have a short attention span, which is the main factor when choosing a toy for them. It is essential to select an attractive design. Look for something that will hold the attention of babies for a long time.
A toy with multiple elements would be interesting to play with, and having several toys floating in the water will also make your 18-month-old enjoy their bath time. Choose a toy that has vibrant colors, which will make the babies curious.
Also, since the toy has to be kept in water, make sure that it has a design that is easy to clean and does not develop mold over time.
Another essential factor to look out for is the material of the toys when it comes to buying a bath toy for 18-month-olds. Often plastic or silicone materials are used in the bath toys as they will hold for long without any damage.
Look for toys that are made with high-quality materials so that the toys last long. Also, look out for manually operated toys and not with a battery, as the battery part can cause serious harm if it comes in contact with water.
Nothing is more important for a parent than their baby’s safety. While selecting the Best bath toy for 18 month old, make sure that the toy follows all the safety standards. The materials used should be non-toxic and safe for kids.
Look out for toys that have small or loose parts, as babies tend to put things in their mouths. The loose part from a toy can become a choking hazard. The toy should have rounded edges so as not to hurt the babies. Look for toys that stay afloat on the water, as any toys that may sink to the bottom may hurt the baby if they accidentally step or sit on it.
While buying any toys for babies, it is always beneficial if they serve multiple purposes. A toy that will be a bath toy can help babies develop their hand-to-eye coordination, motor skills or learn about different colors or different water animals.
Also, since the toys will remain in the water most of the time, a toy that is easy to clean would be preferable.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bath Toy For 18 Month Old
How Do I Bathe My 18 Month Old?
There are a few steps that you need to follow while bathing your 18 month old.
- Get a bathtub that is not very deep, or fill an actual-sized bathtub with less water. The water should reach the belly button of your baby when they are sitting.
- Get all the supplies ready, gentle cleansers, towel, washcloth, clean clothes, and nappy, and keep them within arm’s reach.
- Ensure that the water is lukewarm, and double-check that you have switched off the hot water tap.
- Add some bath toys to the bathtub to make your kid enjoy their bath time.
- Once you are done bathing your baby, wipe off the water immediately to avoid catching a cold.
- Drain the water from the bathtub.
One crucial part about bathing your 18-month-old is never to leave them alone in the bathtub, leading to some accidents.
What Kinds Of Toys Would Be Appropriate For An 18 Month Old?
Eighteen months babies are at an age when they have learned to stand and walk. Now it is time for them to practice their walk and develop other basic skills. Toys are not just something that babies play with, but toys also help their overall mental and physical development.
When choosing a toy for babies, look for toys that make them move their entire bodies, which is helpful in their muscle development and strength.
At 18 months, babies try to follow their parents and replicate what they do, so anything that can get them to pretend-play would be great. Dolls, building blocks are some of the great options. Also, 18 months of age is a great time to introduce your kids to coloring and reading books.
Do 18-Month-Olds Need Baths?
Yes, 18-month-olds need baths. Everyone needs baths, no matter how old or young they are. Bathing helps them remain clean and maintain their hygiene.
When they are toddlers, babies need to bathe only two to three times a week unless they make a mess while eating or playing. However, clean their faces and genital areas regularly, even if you do not take a bath daily.
Also, make sure that you use a gentle cleanser for bathing your baby and the water is lukewarm, neither too hot nor too cold. Giving a bath to a baby at night before their sleep time helps them sleep better and more relaxed.
Are Tub Toys Bad For Babies?
Tub toys are not essentially bad for babies. The only problem is when people don’t clean them properly afterward, which can lead to fungus or mold development on the toy.
Also, look for toys that don’t have any holes in them. Water can get inside the toy, and that can result in mold development inside the toy. If the babies put a toy in their mouth that has developed mold, fungi, or bacteria, that can make them sick.
Always choose tub toys that don’t have any loose parts or sharp edges to hurt the babies.
Reviews of the Five Best Bath Toys For 18 Month Old
#1 Nuby Floating Purple Octopus Bath Toy
- Design: 9/10
- Material: 8.7/10
- Safety: 8.4/10
- Additional Features: 8.6/10
- Overall Score: 8.6/10
- Material: Soft plastic
- Brand: Nuby
- Color: Purple
- Age Range: 18 months and above
- Item Weight: 0.42 pounds
- Battery-Operated: No
- Dimensions: 6.8 x 6.8 x 5.6 inches
- Additional Features: Hand to eye coordination, recognize colors and shapes
- The octopus toy comes with three different rings to throw and play with.
- The vibrant colors of the toys make them attractive.
- The octopus toy is resistant to molds.
- It makes bath time fun for babies.
- The materials are BPA free making them safe for kids.
- The toy is small in size.
This Nuby Floating Purple Octopus Bath Toy is in a beautiful purple color that is very attractive for babies, and the rings that they have to throw onto the octopus make it fun for them during their bath time.
- Design: The purple-colored octopus has a beautiful design that holds the 18-month-old attention. The different colored rings have different shapes, which the kids find intriguing, and they will be distracted throughout their bath time. Also, there are no holes in the octopus, which makes it easy to clean as no water gets inside the toy.
- Material: The soft plastic material used in making this toy does not contain BPA, which makes it great for kids. The build quality of this toy is excellent, which makes it break-resistant. You don’t have to worry about the toy accidentally breaking while your kid is playing with it. Also, there is no battery component in the toys that can get damaged in the water.
- Safety: This toy is made using safe, non-toxic materials. The edges on this octopus toy are rounded and thus safe for kids. However, the rings and the octopus legs are small and easy to put in the mouth. Make sure to watch your baby while bathing them so that they don’t put the toy in their mouth.
- Additional Features: The octopus legs have a design that can catch the rings. Babies can learn better hand-to-eye coordination while trying to get a ring on the octopus legs. The different shapes and colors of the rings will make kids learn about shapes and colors.
You might also like to read : The 6 Best Fidget Toys For Skin Picking
#2 G-Wack Monkey Caterpillar Bath Toy
- Design: 8/10
- Material: 8.1/10
- Safety: 7.9/10
- Additional Features: 8/10
- Overall Score: 8/10
- Material: Plastic
- Brand: G-WACK
- Color: Multicolored
- Age Range: 12 months and up
- Item Weight: 0.46 Pounds
- Battery-Operated: No
- Dimensions: 9.06 x 9.06 x 3.15 inches
- Additional Features: Motor skills and hand to eye coordination
- The design of this toy lets the babies get involved with the water to make them enjoy their bath process.
- This toy set will hold the attention of babies by being very colorful.
- The materials used in this toy are of high quality and safe for kids.
- The toy is easy to assemble.
- All the edges on the toy are very smooth, making them safe for kids.
- Make sure to clean all the parts with warm water and soap to help resist any mold development.
This G-Wack Monkey Caterpillar Bath Toy is excellent for 18-month-old babies as the waterfall design for this toy makes babies get involved with the water and thus develop a liking towards their bath time.
- Design: This toy has a cute monkey and caterpillar design. When babies pour water into the toys, the water leaks from several parts of the toy, making it appear like a waterfall. The monkey caterpillar and the star shape are all vibrant and beautiful colors, which the babies find very attractive.
- Material: All the materials used in this toy are high-quality plastic. The toy has a solid build, and it is not prone to accidental breakage and thus is safe for kids to use. The dual suction cups on the back are silicone, and they hold their grip even when placed in a place that gets wet.
- Safety: The materials are non-toxic and BPA and lead-free, making them safe for kids. There are no sharp corners and loose parts that can become a choking hazard for kids. However, since the water gets inside the toys, it is essential to thoroughly clean the toy after a few uses and dry it thoroughly after each use.
- Additional Features: The toy works when the babies pour water inside the toy. This helps them develop better hand-to-eye coordination. Also, the cute monkey, caterpillar, and other shapes help them learn about different animals and colors. Installing the toy near a bathtub is easy, and it helps the kids enjoy their bath time without making a fuss.
#3 Dwi Dowellin Fishing Games Bath Toys
- Design: 7.3/10
- Material: 8.5/10
- Safety: 8.3/10
- Additional Features: 7.1/10
- Overall Score: 8.3/10
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Brand: Dwi Dowellin
- Color: Multicolored
- Age Range: 18 months and up
- Item Weight: 0.76 Pounds
- Battery-Operated: No
- Dimensions: 8.23 x 6.14 x 3.62 inches
- Additional Features: Color identification, hand to eye coordination
- The toy serves multiple purposes.
- It is made of hard plastic, which makes it mold resistant.
- There are eight toy pieces in this toy set.
- The kids learn hand-to-eye coordination while catching the fish.
- The toy is safe for babies.
- Babies can play with the toy anywhere, not just in the water.
- No cons.
This Dwi Dowellin Fishing Games Bath toy is the best for 18-month-olds as these toys help them develop their hand-to-eye coordination and make them learn several activities like fishing and the name of the colors.
- Design: This toy set has eight pieces, including four small fishes, two swimming whales, one fishing net, and one fishing pole. Having multiple elements makes this toy set extremely engaging for babies who hate their bath time. All the fishes and whales are of different colors, making this set of toys very colorful and thus attractive for babies.
- Material: The hard plastic material of this toy set is kids friendly. The build quality of the toy is very strong. You don’t have to worry about the toys breaking off and hurting your babies. Also, the toy is manually operated. For swimming whales, you have to rotate them clockwise and leave them in the water.
- Safety: This toy is completely safe for 18 month old babies. The fishes in this toy set don’t have any holes, so there is no chance of developing mold, making them safe for your kids. Also, the whales have two holes at the bottom of them to drain out any water after removing them from the water. There is no loose part on the toys that can become a choking hazard.
- Additional Features: The toy set has a fishing hook and net, which the babies will catch the fish toys. This will help them develop hand-to-eye coordination. Also, all the fishes are in different colors, making it better to teach the kids about different colors by encouraging them to catch a specific colored fish.
The toys are really easy to clean, use some warm water with soap and let the toys dry completely.
You might also like to read : 7 Of The Best Toys For Kindergarten Kids
#4 iPlay, iLearn Tub With Organiser Baby Bath Toys
- Design: 7.2/10
- Material: 7.9/10
- Safety: 7.1/10
- Additional Features: 6/10
- Overall Score: 7/10
- Material: ABS Plastic
- Brand: iPlay iLearn
- Color: Multicolored
- Age Range: 6 months and up
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Battery-Operated: No
- Dimensions: 10 x 6.5 x 5 inches
- Additional Features: Color recognition, finger skills, hand to eye coordination, cognitive skills
- The toy set has seven toy pieces.
- The toy set makes bath time fun for 18 month old babies.
- Babies learn several skills while playing with this toy set.
- The toy can be used for playing even after bath time.
- The storage basket with the toy set helps keep your play and wash area organized.
- Some of the toys that swim or do other activities malfunction after a few uses.
This iPlay, iLearn Tub With Organiser Baby Bath Toys has multiple pieces in the toy set, which will make bath time more interesting for your babies, and multiple pieces of the toy set will hold their interest for long.
- Design: This toy set has seven different toy pieces with a basket. The basket allows you to store the toys after your babies are done with their bath. The storage basket is also helpful if you want to take these toys to the beach. Other toys are four stackable cups in different animal shapes, one sea turtle swimming, one spitting octopus, and a spitting fish. The vibrant colors of these toy pieces make them interesting for 18 month old babies and make them enjoy their bathtime.
- Material: All the components in this toy set are made with ABS plastic which is highly durable. The toy set won’t break off easily and will last for a long time. All the parts of the toys are manually operated, there is no battery-operated part, and thus the toy is highly durable.
- Safety: This toy set is made using non-toxic materials, making them highly safe for 18-month-old babies. All the parts on this toy have rounded edges, and they are also light in weight. Also, none of the parts are too small, resulting in choking if the baby decides to put the toy in their mouth.
- Additional Features: The storage bucket has a handle, which will help your babies develop fine finger skills. Grabbing on the fish, cups, or other toys in the water will help develop better hand-to-eye coordination in babies. The toys are in multiple colors, which makes babies learn about different colors.
You can clean the toys with ease by using warm water with some soap and after washing the toys, let them dry.
You might also like to read : 7 Toys You Can Take Apart And Put Back Together For Inquisitive Kids
#5 Bibibi Suction Spinner Bath Toys
- Design: 6.8/10
- Material: 6.5/10
- Safety: 6.8/10
- Additional Features: 6.2/10
- Overall Score: 7.5/10
- Material: Nylon, Silicone, and Plastic
- Brand: Bibibi
- Color: Multicolored
- Age Range: 0 to 12 years
- Item Weight: 0.41 pounds
- Battery-Operated: No
- Dimensions: 5.12 x 5.12 x 1.97 inches
- Additional Features: Hand to eye coordination
- This is a set of three spinner toys.
- The colorful design of the toys is attractive to kids.
- The toy is made using high-quality and safe materials.
- It helps babies learn hand-to-eye coordination by rotating the spinners.
- The toys are durable and resistant to cracking even if they fall often.
- Some people find the rattling sound by the spinners very annoying.
This Bibibi Suction Spinner Bath toy is a set of three spinner toys that will hold your baby’s attention while you bathe them, and they won’t make a fuss.
- Design: The spinner toys are in vibrant colors, which make them very attractive for babies. When the toys spin, they make a rattling sound with the balls on the spinners spinning, and that holds the attention of an 18-month-old so well that even a fussy baby will start enjoying the bath time. The toys have drain holes at the back, which makes it easy to clean them.
- Material: The toys are made with plastic material which is highly durable and not easy to break. The toy shaft is made using nylon and does not have any metal parts, making it rust-proof. Also, the suction cups at the back of the toys are made of silicon, which is durable and can stick to many surfaces, even the bathtub, making it ideal for a bath toy for 18-month-olds.
- Safety: All the materials used in this toy are safe and non-toxic for babies. The drain holes on the toy’s back don’t let any mold build up inside the toy. None of the parts on the toys are small, and thus it is completely safe even if your baby decides to put the toy in their mouth.
- Additional Features: For rotating the spinners, a baby has to move the spinner using their hand. This allows them to develop better hand-to-eye coordination in the babies. The rotating spinner calms a baby down while bathing, and they can be relaxed during their bath.
Final Thoughts: Best Bath Toy For 18 Month Old
For some babies, bathing is not a lot of fun. While some may like their bath time, some of them will throw a tantrum every time you bring them in their bathtub. But there are a lot of ways in which you can make their bath time fun. Adding some toys to their bathtub is one such way. We have shortlisted some of the best toys you can put in the bathtub while bathing your baby.
If we had to choose anyone out of the five, the Nuby Floating Purple Octopus Bath Toy is the Best Bath Toy For 18 Month Old. The purple-colored octopus has a beautiful design that holds the 18-month-old attention. The different colored rings have different shapes, which the kids find intriguing, and they will be distracted throughout their bath time.
Our second favorite is the G-Wack Monkey Caterpillar Bath Toy. The materials are non-toxic and BPA and lead-free, making them safe for kids. There are no sharp corners and loose parts that can become a choking hazard for kids.
For a great option within your budget, you can go for Bibibi Suction Spinner Bath Toys. This Bibibi Suction Spinner Bath toy is a set of three spinner toys that will hold your baby’s attention while you bathe them, and they won’t make a fuss.
Above all, bath toys need to be fun for your child. You are the best judge of which toys will attract and hold the attention of your little angel.
While we have offered five great suggestions, do let us know what works for your bundle of joy so that we can update our list regularly for other parents. And of course, do share pics of your little one’s playing in the tub!